As we enter the Christmas season, we thought we’d join in the Holiday Gift Guide race to give you the only shoppping list you’ll need! We’ve selected these from Etsy, because they give the small business person a chance. (That, and some of their prices rival estate sales!) There’s a link list at the very bottom of this post.
Presenting The Attic Birds’ guide for buying amazing and thoughtful gifts for those in your life deserving of something a little more interesting…
1. For anyone: vintage bottles. Wine, medicine, or just nicely shaped or well-worn, bottles have tremendous potential to be used anywhere in the home. Even better, is to fill these bottles with oils and small vegetables (cocktail onions, peppers, bay leaves, etc) or bath salts.
2. For the women in your life: purses or jewelry. I read an article the other day that costume jewelry came around in the 1940s and 1950s as a way to accessorize every outfit. It was inexpensive so women could buy a lot of it, and it wasn’t really meant to last! It’s EVERYWHERE! And vintage purses are a great addition to any wardrobe: it jazzes up any outfit (and is more practical than you might think).
4. For the children in your life: children’s toys. But, please beware of lead content (no chewing, please!). Stay safe with early plastics, paper dolls, or stuffed toys.
5. For the party thrower: barware. It don’t need to match, by any means, and, the more the merrier! Get creative and purchase two of each wine, champagne, martini, and highball, and create your own party pack.
7. For the hostess with the mostess: silver trays. They come in a wide variety of shapes, etchings and edge designs – there’s sure to be one out there that fits your friend’s personality.
8. For your Nana: a scarf. There are so many beautiful scarves out on the estate sale and vintage shop market! Those that grew up in the Depression are fueling this, as they infrequently threw things out, and they had the luxury of buying (or inheriting) silk scarves – as it was before the parachute provisions were made for WW2.
9. Last, but not least: BOOKS! Books are for everyone! These are the easiest things to find (and, usually, the cheapest). You’ll remind your parents/grandparents of their childhood with series like Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, The Bobbsey Twins, or The Hardy Boys. You can’t go wrong with a classic by Jane Austen, Mark Twain, or Herman Melville. Poetry abounds with the greats: Shakespeare, e.e. cummins, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, or Edgar Allan Poe. Historians, cooks, artists – you can truly find something for anyone! You’ll find a GREAT selection of rare, used, and out-of-print books at Commandant’s Cottage Antiques and Books – and, free shipping (on books, in the US)!
We had to stop at 9 because there were just WAAAAAY too many options opened up! But, if you need just one more reason to shop vintage, think about how GREEN you’re being! You’re recycling! You’re ensuring that a good thing lives on!
Do you plan to gift something vintage this year?
If you’d like us to help you hunt for one of the suggestions – or anything else – please comment below or email us – TheAtticBirds@gmail.com!
- Vintage Blue Glass Genie Bottle/Decanter from VelvetandShag; Antique Bottle Set from HouseWarming101; Hobnail Glass Colone Bottle from VintageRenude
- Vintage Earrings Trifari Green Rhinestone from VintageandOld; Vintage Marcasite Enamel Red Rhinestone Flower Brooch from SwanTreasures; 1920s Whiting & Davis Dainty Dresden Baby Fine Mesh Purse from MoonCandyVintage; 1940 Vintage Peacock Black Velvet Clutch from HulaGirl1922
- Vintage Bowtie – Parrots on Electic Blue from MeanGlean
- Vintage Antique Childrens Toy Large Wooden Alphabet Blocks from Julanns; Vintage Childrens Bongo Drums from VintageTab; 1930’s Vintage Ohio Art Tin Litho Childs Toy Tea Plaid Dishes Girl Duck from AmericanHomestead
- Vintage Etched Glass Martini Shaker Set from hollandvstk; Crystal Decanter from AntiqFinds; Two Vintage Silver Rimmed and Etched Champagne Glasses from KitschyCoolTreasures
- Russian KGB Flask from JoyFool
- Silver Plated Serving Pieces 12 Pieces of Mix and Match from ValsVintageShoppe; Lovely Shell Design Unmarked Silverplated 2 Handle Tray from TheWeatheredBungalow
- 1970s Vintage Vera Scarf from FancyLuckyVintage; Vintage Vera Painted Flowers Scarf (2) from RefineryNH; Regal Red Vintage Wool Scarf from CutAndSo
- The Night Before Christmas from The Commandants Cottage Antiques and Books