We all have had that dreaded moment when we realized we forgot to pick up a hostess gift or have a neighbor drop by with an unexpected present and we have nothing to reciprocate. That feeling in the pit of your stomach can be avoided with a little work up front and a stash of these super cute sugar cookie ornaments!
Most of us are familiar with the “in a jar” gifts (cookies in a jar, brownies in a jar, mani/pedi in jar), but why limit yourselves to just mason jars? These cookie ornaments are festive and easy to make!
You will need these craft supplies:
- Large clear ornament (Hobby Lobby has them for $1.99 and 50% off)
- Aluminum Foil
And these ingredients:
- 1 cup of Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Holiday M&Ms
Mix the first 3 ingredients and pour into the ornament using the funnel. Next pour the brown sugar and then the white sugar on top. Fill the rest of the ornament with the M&Ms (about 1/2 cup) – you may need to press the candy down to be able to fit. Cover the opening with 2 layers of foil and fit the top back on (you want to make sure none of the ingredients will fall out).
Attach a card with the following directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Empty contents of ornament into a large mixing bowl and combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Work in 3/4 cup softened butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix in with dough.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Slightly flatten balls with hand. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 14 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Remove and cool on a rack. Makes about 1 dozen cookies.
That’s all there is to it! I lined up several ornaments in coffee cups (to keep them still) and assembled them at once (I’d pour the flour mixture into each, then the sugar, etc).
Hope this idea makes your holidays season a little less stressed!